Custom tattoos are designs that I create according to your specifications. Due to limited availability, I cannot accept all of the custom proposals I receive, and I choose which projects to book based on what are most inspiring to me, and what I am most confident I can execute well.
Requesting a Custom Tattoo
If you are interested in a custom tattoo from me, you will be able to request one via my booking form when my custom books are open. Please do not send me your tattoo ideas when my books are closed! If you are wondering if your idea is something I might be interested in, please read "My Interests" below.
I will ask for the following information in your booking form:
- Design concept
- Approximate size
- Desired placement
- Reference images
Please be as clear as possible about what you are envisioning. If you are unsure of some details, that is okay, just let me know what is important to you and where you are flexible or undecided.
I ask that you provide reference images when requesting a custom tattoo. These can include:
- Examples of my own work that you like (art or tattoos)
- Photos of your desired subject matter
- Rough sketches of your idea
- Tattoos or art from other people that inspire you (just understand that I will NOT copy other artist’s designs without written permission)
- Photos of the body part you want tattooed, or that illustrate your desired placement
I will use the information in your booking form to determine if I am the right artist for your idea, and I will reach out via e-mail if I am able to accept your request for a custom tattoo.
Scheduling and Design Process
When you schedule an appointment for a custom tattoo, I will ask for:
- An $80 deposit. This holds your place in my schedule and comes off the final cost of your tattoo. Deposits are non-refundable.
- A $100 design fee. This fee covers the time I spend designing and collaborating with you to create a unique, original design, and does NOT come off the total cost of your tattoo. Design fees are refundable if you cancel your tattoo appointment before our consultation, or within 24 hours after our consultation.
I require a consultation for all custom tattoo designs. If you are not local to Portland or can’t come in to the shop for an in-person consultation, I will ask that we schedule a virtual meeting via Zoom. We will schedule this consultation at the same time we schedule your tattoo, with generally around 2-4 weeks between the two appointments. This ensures our conversation is fresh in my head when I start designing, while also giving me enough time to create your design. At your consultation, we can go over all of your ideas and options, I can take a look at your desired placement in person, and I will usually create a very rough draft of the design, either on my iPad or on your skin with marker.
I always show your final custom design before your appointment. I will usually email you the design a day or two before your appointment. In some cases, I may send a rough draft a few days earlier to make sure I’m going in the right direction. Please be sure to keep an eye on your email in the days leading up to your appointment! I am happy to edit the design to create your perfect tattoo, but more than two round of edits may require an additional design fee of $25-$100, and may require me to reschedule your tattoo.
For custom tattoos, I charge a $100 design fee plus an hourly rate for the tattoo itself. I charge $180/hour for blackwork or black and grey tattoos, and $150/hour for color tattoos, subject to a one-hour minimum. My hourly rate only applies to actual tattooing time; time spent stenciling, setting up, taking breaks, etc. will not be charged.
To help you budget for your tattoo, below are some rough price estimates. Please keep in mind that these are just estimates, and final price will vary depending on multiple factors such as level of detail, style, placement, technical demands of the design, etc. (These prices reflect the total cost, including the design fee.)
- Palm-sized tattoo (around 3-4 inches)
- $280-$450 for blackwork/black and grey
- $350-$550 for color
- Hand-size tattoo (around 6-7 inches)
- $550-$900 for blackwork/black and grey
- $700-$1200 for color
Re-Works and Cover-ups
I will accept re-works and cover-ups of existing tattoos on a case-by-case basis. I am happy to help you fix tattoos that you’re not in love with, but I will only take on these projects if I am confident that I can give you a good end result. If you are interested in having me fix or cover an existing tattoo, please submit a booking request for a custom tattoo, and include a photo of the existing tattoo in your reference images.
To help determine if I am the right artist for your idea, below is more information about what I’m currently interested and not interested in tattooing.
Stylistically, I am looking to focus more on high-contrast blackwork and full-color designs. In general, I’d like to take on larger, bolder, and more complex designs, and I’m less interested in very simple, minimalistic tattoos. I love making designs that rely on linework and fine lines, but I prefer to combine my signature fineline shading style with bold outlines and/or areas of black fill. I am less interested in tiny tattoos and very light, delicate, purely fineline work. I am currently not interested in outline-only tattoos, single-line tattoos, or other minimal line-based tattoos.
Things I like to tattoo:
- Landscapes (especially steep mountains, large rock formations, and imaginary mountains)
- Flowers (especially peonies, roses, poppies, and similar flowers)
- Sea life
- Most animals (especially weird, creepy, colorful, or obscure ones)
- Most nature-related imagery
- Abstract designs
- Ornamental designs
- Natural imagery combined with geometric and/or ornamental elements
Things I'm not interested or confident in tattooing at this time:
I might change my mind or feel differently one day, and I might make an exception in some cases, but for now I will generally pass on these requests
- Mythical creatures
- Pet portraits
- Human figures
- Pop culture
- Man-made objects
Things I won't tattoo:
These are concepts that I will definitely not tattoo.
- Copies of art or tattoos that are not my own. (Exceptions may be made if you have written permission of the original artist, or if the source image is within the public domain.)
- Culturally appropriative content
- Religious tattoos. (However, I could possibly be open to themes related to Satanism, Paganism, Wicca, etc, especially if it subject matter from my "likes" above)
- Anything I deem offensive (racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc)